How do we address the financial illiteracy issue in the US?
Paul Vasey taught Business Studies successfully in the UK to high school and junior college students for 12 years. He ran his own department, wrote articles for a number of publications, had a teaching resource published in the UK and mentored trainee teachers. After many years within the school system, he decided to take his love for financial education beyond the classroom.
He currently lives in Southern California and is building his educational business www.CashCrunchgames.com, designed to address the financial illiteracy problem through gamification; turning the have-nots into the haves and establishing money confidence in the next generation.
Paul’s CashCrunch Games are made for the classroom but also for the home, where families can play and learn together. In today’s episode we discuss the myth of retail therapy, where mindfulness and money meet, how to avoid the lure of credit card debt, and why financial literacy must be valued and taught within the school system.
- Personal finance is an underrated overlooked life skill.
- Money is simple. Don’t spend what you don’t have.
- You can only spend a dollar once. Don’t try to spend it more than once.
- Save first to spend later.
- Be aware of your own money rather than try and live up to other people’s money.
- The earlier we teach money matters to kids the better.
- It’s easier to spend money than it is to earn it.
- CashCrunch Junior (5-12 years old)
- CashCrunch 101 Games – Money Habits (5-21 years)
- CashCrunch Careers
Enter to win a CashCrunch Junior board game – email us at hello(AT)leadersoftransformation.com.
Connect With Paul Vasey
- Facebook: CashCrunchGames
- Instagram: @CashCrunchGames
- Twitter: @CashCrunchGames
Did You Enjoy The Podcast?
If you like this episode let us know! Reviews for the podcast on iTunes are greatly appreciated. This helps us reach more entrepreneurs seeking to make a positive impact in the world. If you received value from this episode, it would mean so much if you could take a moment and leave your 5-star rating and review. You can do that by visiting here. Thank you! Together we can make a difference!