Author of two books, Undefeatable and F’d Up: The Upside To Failure, Tiana Sanchez is in the business of building better managers & leaders, and believes there is no limit to your success. As the owner of an organizational training and development practice, she works with for profit, non-profit and educational institutions to foster a more confident and competent workforce in the new economy.
In today’s interview, Tiana shares some startling workplace statistics, the reason why organizations are currently experiencing a leadership gap, the difference between managers and leaders in terms of focus and skill set, and how to become a better manager and leader who empowers people to excel.
1) What is the difference between a manager and a leader? A manager lights the fire under an employee, whereas a leader lights the fire within the employee. Managers are process drivers, and are operationally driven. Leaders empower people to support a vision and do the work.
2) There are 3 levels of leadership training needed in today’s marketplace: (1) leading self, (2) leading others, and (3) leading the organization.
3) Studies indicate that 82% of managers today are a mis-cast. Most people are promoted to management because of seniority or a history of success in previous role, rather than a demonstrated ability to manage and lead people.
4) In 100-500 employee organizations, the average manager receives 6-12 minutes of training, per 6 months.
5) To be an effective manager, you must act like a manager but think like a CEO.
6) To be an effective leader, you must have a high degree of influence, empathy, compassion, vulnerability, transparency, and be able to establish a high level of trust.
7) The statement “It’s not personal, it’s just business” is untrue. It’s always personal, because you’re dealing with a person.
Tiana Sanchez Bio
Tiana Sanchez is in the business of building better managers & leaders and believes there is no limit to your success. She has served as Team Leader, Corporate Trainer, Business Consultant, Board Member and Speaker. As the owner of an organizational training and development practice, she works with for profit, non-profit and educational institutions to foster a more confident and competent workforce in the new economy.
Tiana personally consults, mentors and coaches’ CEO’s, VP’s, Directors and Human Resources Executives. She often speaks at colleges and universities imparting sage advice to young adults and emerging leaders. Tiana was recently nominated for the 2016 Los Angeles Business Journal Women’s Summit Rising Star Award.
Tiana successfully develops others through books, “action inspired talks” and trainer-led workshops. Clients RE-THINK their leadership potential in order to create a BIGGER impact within the organization. And as a result, they retain a competitive edge in the marketplace adding tremendous value to the people they serve.
Tiana has coached, trained and developed the top talent for some well-known organizations such as Southern California Edison, Verizon, Time Warner Cable Arena, Hot Dog on a Stick, AIDS Services Foundation Orange County, and Sugar Foods Inc.
Tiana is a sought after speaker and has delivered poignant workshops for educational institutions including Stanford University, UC Merced, Los Angeles Southwest College, University of La Verne, UC Riverside and Cal State LA. She is a best-selling author, spreading the idea that “failures are necessary and make us great” readying herself for the TED Talk stage.
Her two books, Undefeatable and F’d Up: The Upside To Failure, have been featured in the media with Speaker Dr. Will Moreland, Leaders of Transformation, Black Hollywood Live Phenomenal Women and Visions of Success Talk Radio with Dr. (Doc) Fred.
Connect With Tiana Sanchez Online
E-Learning Courses For Managers & Leaders: www.TheBossBlueprint.com