How are alternative MBA programs, micro-learning and student debt impacting the future of higher education?
Corey Sigvaldason, ELP, CBB, MBA has been an entrepreneur as long as he can remember. A born leader, his passion is empowering people to maximize their potential and generate results with exceptional clarity and purpose while leaving a lasting impression and sustainable impact in the world.
He is the President of Grandesco College, CEO of The HOP® Performance Institute and Host of the HOP Nation Podcast. He is an author, speaker and is currently working on his Ph.D. Corey has worked with a number of clients ranging from sole proprietors to Fortune 500 companies including Future Shop/Best Buy and PWC. He has always had a sense of high purpose in his community and international travels. This is evident in his commitment to the “School a Year” campaign that builds schools in disadvantaged areas of the world.
In today’s conversation with Corey, we explore the evolution of higher education, the impact of micro-learning on the educational system, what many employers are now looking for in potential hires, and how to educate yourself for higher order performance. With traditional MBA programs costing $60,000 or more, Corey recommends that learners seek out cost-effective alternatives where they can gain the knowledge along with the necessary experience and peer mentorship in order to best equip them for success in the marketplace.
We also discuss the differences between low performers and high performers – what qualities do they possess that set them apart as peak performers and leaders, and what can parents and key influencers can do to avoid unintentionally limiting their children’s potential. Whether you are a student or you are a parent, this conversation will offer great insight into the educational options available and where the industry is going in the future.
- With MBA students incurring significant debt loads, their salary expectations are so high that certain companies are putting MBA programs on a ‘do not hire from’ list.
- Many companies now are hiring based on character and training for skills.
- Memorizing material is not learning.
- Most higher education programs are a commodity – the problem is that it just becomes a price play.
- Oftentimes the reason that people do not achieve high levels of success is because they give up too quick and too easily.
- Don’t be afraid to hire millennials – they know technology, and they are creative and resilient.
- Most performance management focuses on corrective discipline vs building up employees.
- Key drivers of human performance are growth and appreciation.
Learn More & Connect With Corey Sigvaldason
- Websites: HOPperformanceinstitute.com / www.grandescocollege.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/coreysigvaldason/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coreythehopster/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/coreythecoach
- Grandesco College on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KamloopsBusinessSchool/
- Grandesco College on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrandescoLeader
Did You Enjoy The Podcast?
If you like this episode let us know! Reviews for the podcast on iTunes are greatly appreciated. This helps us reach more entrepreneurs seeking to make a positive impact in the world. If you received value from this episode, it would mean so much if you could take a moment and leave your 5-star rating and review. You can do that by visiting here. Thank you! Together we can make a difference!